Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Do You Use Public Transportation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by Adriano89, May 21, 2013.

1. It depends. If I'm just about to roam around the city or just to buy stuffs and check out places, I would just normally used public transportation or walk and it's also a good form of exercise as well.

2. It depends. It largely based on the public transport system there. Personally I like to use public transport whenever possible. Not only from an economic point of view but also from an environmental friendly outlook.

My brother is there in Italy and he has been there for the last 10 years so. I am also planning to visit this amazing country very soon. I heard from my brother that all major cities in Italy got good public transport systems in place with a lot of buses and underground train networks. So I would be using the public transport and in some cases I may even use taxis which are easily available near most of the train and bus stations. So even if I use public transport system there is no issue in getting a taxi if required.

3. I've heard that in Rome it was a nightmare to make the underground because of all the archaeological findings, and I think the solution was finally to make a surface transport. A lot of history in Rome that is not compatible with a subway. :) I wonder if this is true?

4. I livе in Rоmе
    Thе mеtrо is аlright, but nоt nееdеd unlеss yоu’rе in а hurry оr gоing оutsidе thе сity сеntrе. еvеn thеn, it missеs а lоt оf rеасh.
    Thе mаjоrity оf сеntrаl bus linеs wоrk rеliаbly. In thе lеss сеntrаl аrеаs, nоt sо muсh. I stоppеd using thеm аftеr wаiting 40 minutеs fоr а bus frоm Piаzzа Fоntеiаnа, Mоntеvеrdе tо Viаlе di Trаstеvеrе.

5. If I’d knоwn it wаs gоing tо tаkе thаt lоng, I’d hаvе wаlkеd аnd bееn thеrе in hаlf thе timе. But it wаs suppоsеd tо аrrivе 5 minutеs аftеr I bеgаn wаiting.
    Unfоrtunаtеly, it’s а соmmоn stоry.
    аnd dоn’t gеt mе stаrtеd оn strikеs.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. I think that's a problem in most countries these days though, not just Italy. We get told that we need to use public transport more and more, but at the moment the services are slow, unreliable and overcrowded so it's no wonder that people aren't using them as often as they want.

Improve the service and I'm sure that more people will be willing to ditch the car and use the public transport, but we need some incentive to do that, and waiting for services that never turn up, or when they do turn up are too crowded so we have to wait for the next service making us late, isn't going to tempt people into using the service long term.

7. What do you mean, it misses a lot of reach?

I'd stop using buses too if I had to wait 40 minutes for one, but at the same time what alternatives do you have to the bus? I am fortunate enough to walk everywhere, but for longer distances some sort of transport is needed.