Classical music in society

anna2009

Community Member
Jun 9, 2009
Classical music in society

Italian classical music grew gradually more experimental and progressive into the mid-20th century, while popular tastes have tended to stick with well established composers and compositions of the past.[8] The 2004-2005 program at the Teatro San Carlo in Naples is typical of modern Italy: of the eight operas represented, the most recent was Puccini. In symphonic music, of the 26 composers whose music was played, 21 of them were from the 19th century or earlier, composers who use the melodies and harmonies typical of the Romantic era. This focus is common to other European traditions, and is known as postmodernism, a school of thought that draws on earlier harmonic and melodic concepts that pre-date the conceptions of atonality and dissonance.[32] This focus on popular historical composers has helped to maintain a continued presence of classical music across a broad spectrum of Italian society. When music is part of a public display or gathering, it is often chosen from a very eclectic repertoire that is as likely to include well-known classical music as popular music.

A few recent works have become a part of the modern repertoire, including scores and theatrical works by composers such as Luciano Berio, Luigi Nono, Franco Donatoni, and Sylvano Bussotti. These composers are not part of a distinct school or tradition, though they do share certain techniques and influences. By the 1970s, avant-garde classical music had become linked to the Italian Communist Party, while a revival of popular interest continued into the next decade, with foundations, festivals and organization created to promote modern music. Near the end of the 20th century, government sponsorship of musical institutions began to decline, and several RAI choirs and city orchestras were closed. Despite this, a number of composers gained international reputations in the early 21st century.[8]

Re: Classical music in society

Other than the obvious opera composers (Verdi, Rossini, Puccini), the only serious Italian composer whose music I know is Ostorino Respighi, the man who wrote The Fountains of Rome and The Pines of Rome. I am also familiar with the music of Enzo Morricone.

Re: Classical music in society

Even though I am not very much familiar with music but being a music lover, I would like to put the most famous music school in Florence - Accademia Europea di Firenze.

So would you say that classical music is generally more popular in Italy than it is in the US? Here they call music from 70's, 60's and earlier "classics". Most people have not been to an opera and wouldn't know how to enjoy it.

^^there's actually a niche group of young people that are interested in reviving and reinterpreting classical music, but they're not always that vocal nor they get showcased that much.

I personally love Classical music, and am always trying to discover good new composers for me to check out. Also it is worth mentioning that I have heard my fair share of modern Classical composers who have made some amazingly beautiful music, that can sometimes rival that of the alltime greats.