Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Civita Di Bagnoregio

Discussion in 'Viterbo' started by Chillout, Jan 1, 2016.

1. I was just reading this article about a campaign to save the city of Civita di Bagnoregio.

The town itself is visited by 600,000 tourists a year, but only has a permanent population of fewer than 10. The town is slowly crumbling away and can only be accessed by a narrow foot bridge.

Worldwide campaign to save picturesque Italian hilltop village from collapse

Has anyone been? Do you have any photos to share?

2. That's so sad that such a beautiful area is literally crumbling away. It truly is so picturesque that it would be sad to see it go. I've never been there - I would love to go, and I'm glad that there is a campaign to try and save the village, but I do wonder if the influx of tourists and foot traffic would be doing things to hurt the erosion rather than drawing awareness to help it. It really does look charming though - I hope that something can be done to save it.