Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Children's Bedtimes In Italy

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by Dina000, Feb 23, 2015.

1. I notice a lot of Italians eat dinner rather late, as compared to Americans. I was wondering what time do children usually go to bed, if they stay up to eat dinner with the adults? Or do children eat earlier and go to bed earlier?

2. The kids in my Italian family usually go to bed around 9 o'clock. On weekends and during school holidays no heavy restrictions are put on them. They are allowed to roam freely until they get tired. The beautiful thing about the children of my cousins is that they can just go to sleep anywhere without any problems. You can just put a blanket on the floor or push together two garden chairs as a bed for them for the night. They are happy, easy kids, growing up in a natural way. Well, it seems natural to me. :)

3. When Italians eat dinner late, I imagine that children who have school the next morning and need to get to bed by 8pm or 9 pm end up going to bed on a full stomach. That probably knocks them right out. I wonder if the kids eat at an earlier time occasionally.

4. Wow, that seems so late! But then again, all of my Latin@ friends kids all go to bed super late too.

5. My friends kids (their Dad is Italian) all go to be at 9 on a school day no matter what age they are! I always thought that was late but they never seem to be tired and they are well behaved so who am I to argue!

6. My little one goes to bed around 9 - 10pm during school days and a bit later at the weekends. It does seem late compared to other European countries but it's normal here.

7. When my husband and I visited Italy, we were in for a lot of shocks in regard to differences. We excepted something else since it was arranged with a travel agency. One thing that stood out was a very late dinner that was planned. First we were to do an open bus tour of Rome. It was an hour late picking us up. Then instead of starting the tour right away, it stopped at another tourist office to pick up more people then it took us on a tour. It was already 7:30 at night. We were starving. Then at 10:30pm, we were dropped off at this restaurant that was like a hole in a wall. It had some musical entertainment and heavy sauced pasta. We did not get out of there till midnight. Everyone involved with the tour and meal acted as though it was normal. It was like time did not exist. I do not know if children eat that late, but if they carry their days out like that how do children sleep and get up in time for the school day. How is anything conducted on time? And does time even play a factor in Italian culture?

8. I honestly think there is not much different with the bed times between America and there...sometimes it just all depends on the family. Plus they do a lot more cooking, and family time than most American families do.

9. I agree with dez97 that it really depends on the family as well as the fact that Italians cook more. I was filled with so much joy when I noticed that my boyfriend's family ate dinner late because that's how I was raised. The bf's super young 2nd cousins usually stay up pretty late (like midnight) over the weekend. I haven't noticed that they've been up at an absurd time during the week.

10. I think overall for most Italian’s the day starts later. I remember when I visited the children would be hanging out in the town square on a school night to very late. I think overall many businesses don’t open until at least 9am the earliest and most of the stores stay open much later then they do in the US. I know many retail stores stay open until about 9pm in the United States. However, in Southern Italy I remember the stores would close for a few hours during the day for siesta then reopen and stay open until 11pm.

11. I love this change in culture, closing for siesta. That is why everyone goes to bed so late, it is because they have a siesta during the day time. This is probably healthy and benefits all Italians greatly. The children most likely love their afternoon siesta.