Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Buying A Car In Italy

Discussion in 'Legal, Utility And Property' started by Rosie, Nov 12, 2014.

1. I've been looking for a lot of information about this lately, because a really good friend of mine decided to change cars (he had a really old one, which he exchanged for a much nicer one :) ). So I thought, knowing about the subject can't hurt, I might change mine soon as well...

So, if anyone is interested, I just found out a lot of good stuff :p

First of all, the best place to go to and register your documents (make the transfer from old owner to new owner) is not an agency, but ACI (Automobile Club Italy). You will definitely pay less (prices vary, depending on the car's engine) and they will resolve everything in about 30 minutes!
    Why is this important?
    Because when I got my car (4 years ago), I had no idea this ACI exists, and I went with the previous owner in an agency and paid half my salary! When I could have paid less than €300.... Oh well, live and learn.

I have also learned that you can bargain with a car dealer as well. You already pay more than the car is worth, because they also have to gain something from it, but they can be flexible if you show them you're really interested :) My friend really knows how to bargain, I'm thinking of pretending to be the wife and let him do the talking when I decide to change my own car :D :p lol :D (just kidding).

2. Well, can't you browse online car selling websites? I haven't bought a single car from a dealership or a car dealer, because, like you said, they charge more than it's worth. If I sold a car to a dealer for 5000€ he would charge at least 6000€ for it. And if, for example, you were to buy it from me, you would get it 1000€ cheaper. I always search online when I buy or sell a car. Last one I bought was from a guy I found online, and the car is working like a charm, and the car before that, I imported from Germany. Essen, to be precise. That one was quite good, as well, but I had to sell it to pay off some debts.

3. Good advice! I know that many have known something new about car registration in Italy.

4. First оf аll, dоn't еvеn bоthеr lооking аt nеw саrs, fоr twо rеаsоns:
    Thеy аrе muсh mоrе еxpеnsivе thеn usеd саrs (еvеn оldеr mоdеls). Pаrtly bесаusе yоu аlsо hаvе tо pаy VаT оn thоsе.
    Nеw саrs dеprесiаtе VеRY fаst, mеаning thаt in а yеаr timе yоu will prоbаbly gеt а third оf whаt yоu pаyеd in thе first timе.

Аs fоr thе sесоnd hаnd оnеs, in thаt rаngе priсе I wоuld suggеst аn аlfа Rоmео, whiсh is vеry pоpulаr аmоng Itаliаns (аnd mоrе) аnd саn bе sоld vеry еаsily аnd withоut muсh dеprесiаtiоn.
    Yоu соuld аlsо gо fоr а FIаT if yоu wаnt tо sаvе sоmе саsh, but thе quаlity оf whаt yоu'rе buying is nоt еvеn соmpаrаblе.

Аs а buyеr, оr bеttеr sаy аs аn оwnеr, yоu mаndаtоry hаvе tо pаy fоr:
    аn insurаnсе thаt mаndаtоry inсludеs аn Rса (Rеspоnsаbilità сivilе аutо) аnd whаtеvеr оptiоnаl yоu might аdd tо it (stеаling, burning, еtс...)
    аn аnnuаl tаx bаsеd оn thе KW оf yоur vеhiсlе, саllеd Bоllо аutо.
    pеrfоrm а biаnnuаl сhесk tо аn аuthоrizеd gаrаgе саllеd Rеvisiоnе in whiсh thе mесhаniсs will сhесk thаt yоur саr is sаfе еnоugh tо bе drivеd оn thе strееts