Best Place To Write In Tuscany?

Florentina

Community Member
Jun 15, 2013
As someone who visited Italy a few times already, the Tuscany region has a special kind of magic to me. What would be the best place (in this region) to hide away for a few weeks to do some writing? Also, which season would be preferable? I love Europe’s summers, but a winter retreat with a warm fireplace and local wine might be an unforgettable experience.

Reactions: Arturo Denta
Hello Florentina, there are many places in Tuscany to hide away and write for a while. I personally feel that the hills around Siena are particularly inspiring. You may want to visit smaller towns like Casole d'Elsa or Colle Val d'Elsa, which are not as crowded with tourists as other cities in the area like San Gimigniano or Volterra - though these are certainly fascinating as well.

If you rather be on the outskirts of Florence, you might want to check out the Impruneta area, close to the old Certosa, a Charterhouse from the 14th century. I am sure you will not have trouble finding an agriturismo resort where you can rent a room for some time and get some inspirational - or just some very relaxing - writing done, while sipping on some wine made by your hosts!

The ideal weather to visit these places depends a bit on what you are looking for. If you are looking for inspiring aromas, then springtime, with all of its flowers in bloom, is your best bet; if you're into nature's colours, than the fall will be the right time for you; if you want to cultivate the fireplace instead, definitely go there in wintertime, while if you are the lizard type of person that needs to lie in the sun, the summer will be your choice - also days are longer and you get more sunlight for a stroll in the country during breaks.

All of that being said, I would try to avoid the touristically busy times of the year - December/January in the winter and June through august in the summer. Everything gets more expensive and crowded at those times of the year.

I wish you all the best in your stay in Tuscany and feel free to ask any questions, I will be happy to help out - for I am myself an artist and I have a special affection for this region.

Reactions: Chillout