Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Being Gay In Italy

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by Clairelouise84, Apr 22, 2015.

1. I am a lesbian and I am so excited for when my wife and I go, but I am just wondering what the attitudes towards the LBTQIGN community are in Italy. It is a genuine question as I have had no experience and there is very little said about it? Is it a friendly place to be when you are gay?

2. I'm no expert on the matter but I would have thought that Italy would be the same as most countries in the world, there will be some places where it's accepted more than others? The major cities, as in most countries these days are pretty cosmopolitan places, maybe some of the smaller towns it might still get looked at as a bit odd but I certainly wouldn't have thought discrimination would be anything to worry about, not these days anyway?

Clairelouise84 likes this.
  3. I'm sure you'll be alright as long as you keep to the major cities. I think smaller communities will be more religious and intolerant.

4. Not intolerant but they might make up some wrong ideas and become overfriendly.

5. It's a first world country in Europe. I'm sure you'll be fine, unless you go to some super remote and religious area

6. Thank you, I am sure as you say there is nothing to worry about but I know some people and places will be more discriminatory than others because I experience it a lot here in the UK. I just don't want to attract a lot of negativity on my honeymoon.

pwarbi likes this.
  7. I am sure, and whilst I would like to go to the more remote areas, as you say they might not be so accepting so we will go but maybe not hold hands or anything like that.

8. That happens here all the time! I can deal with the over friendliness!

9. We plan to stay in Rome so will spend a lot of time there, I would like to visit the smaller and more remote areas so will just keep it down and say that we are "friends" not something I would ever do in this country but when in Rome!.... I made myself laugh.

10. Just like any big city, you should be fine in Rome and for the most part in all of Italy. Theree is always the chance of a random uncomfortable encounter in a small town or a heavily Catholic conservative neighborhood, but that could happen anywhere. Enjoy your trip!

11. The kind of religious people you find in country or remote areas is not the fundamentalist you could find in other countries, conservative catholics here don't even know what fundamentalism is . So they would not do more than staring or overfriending.

The noisy zealot kind in Italy is more easily found in the big cities.

12. Just on a kind of side note but...

I wonder if there will ever come a time when that will be a question that you don't have to ask before you go anywhere?

It's good that there's a forum such as this that you can ask the question and get some insight etc before you go, it just seems like that shouldn't even be an issue in this day and age.

Your questions should be about Italy and where to go etc, not worrying about if you'll be accepted.

Anyway, that's my little rant over with, haha

13. When in Rome you should do as the Romans; But not if that means discriminating people based on sexual orientation. You shouldn't have to lie about yourself. Either they'll deal with or you shouldn't waste your time there. But the current pope has been very progressive when it comes to sexuality and all that, so... who knows, maybe they wont care.

14. True, it could happen anywhere and it seems to be happening a lot more where I currently live which is getting a bit annoying! I think toning it down is necessary, it's not something I want to do but it is something I might need to do.

15. I totally agree with you and whilst I want to know how the land lies, I am of the opinion that it is my life and no one will tell me how to live it, but at the same time, I want a peaceful honeymoon in a beautiful place so if that means not holding hands with my wife for a couple of hours I am prepared to do that, I do not want to but I know I have to I tend to get a bit more pushy about it and give a bit back, but my fiancée is very reserved and as she says to me I look feminine so I could blend in, she does not.

16. That is a very interesting question and I think it will happen but I genuinely don't believe it will happen in my lifetime, there will always be people that are unfriendly or too friendly towards gay people. And yes I am very grateful for people giving me the heads up on the situation as I like to know what I am getting myself into! It should not be an issue but sadly it is and hopefully one day it will not even cross people's minds to ask!

17. These personal I think your feelings but do not TCT worried about this, we are in a time where there is no fear of these things almost never

18. Just likе еvеrywhеrе, living in big сitiеs is simpliеr thаn living in thе smаll оnеs. Yоung pеоplе аnd studеnts gеnеrаlly соmе оut whеn thеy mоvе tо сitiеs likе Rоmе, Milаn, Bоlоgnа оr Turin аs thеy аrе fаr frоm thеir fаmiliеs аnd frее tо еxpеrimеnt fаr frоm prеjudiсеs оf thеir smаll villаgеs.
    During thе '80 LGBT оrgаnizаtiоns likе аrсigаy сirсlеs оr сirсоlо di сulturа оmоsеssuаlе Mаriо Miеli in Rоmе wеrе bоrn аnd grеw up in big сitiеs аs wеll аs LGBT bаrs аnd disсоs, sо sinсе dесаdеs in biggеr Itаliаn tоwns bесаmе еаsiеr tо mееt оthеr gаy аnd lеsbiаns
    Gеnеrаlly Itаly suffеrs а big dеlаy, nоt оnly оn LGBT rights but аlsо оn quаlity оf lifе fоr LGBT pеоplе duе tо rеtrоgrаdе pоlitiсs still striсtly linkеd tо саthоliс сhurсh pоsitiоns. In fасt tоdаy (Sеptеmbеr 2015) Itаly is thе lаst wеstеrn еurоpеаn соuntry withоut аny kind оf lеgаl rесоgnitiоn fоr gаy аnd lеsbiаn соuplеs.

19. Yes.Exactly!
    Striсtly spеаking аbоut еvеrydаy lifе, Nоrthеrn Itаly is соnsidеrеd mоst оpеn mindеd аnd "сlоsе tо еurоpе", in pаrtiсulаr wе саn spеаk аbоut сitiеs likе Milаn, Turin, Bоlоgnа. But, dеspitе stеrеоtypеs, sоuthеrn Itаly hаs his оwn "hаppy islаnds" tоо: Nаplеs, sоmе tоwns in аpuliа (thе rеgiоn hаd thе first оpеnly gаy Gоvеrnоr, Niсhi Vеndоlа) аn Siсily.

20. More western countries these days are becoming more and more open to different lifestyles, and while I'm sure that there are still some cities that are fairly closed to gay people, there are a lot more that are welcoming and accepting. Even though I'm not gay myself, as I said before, it still seems a shame that people who are gay have to worry about if they will be accepted or not when they go to a country rather than just being able to enjoy it.

Having said that though, I'm sure that there are a lot of people that live in the more reclusive towns and villages that don't accept gay people so at the same time as them being able to go there, would they actually WANT to knowing they may get a frosty reception? With that in mind I guess it's better to ask the question before you set off.