Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Babbel To Learn Italian

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by twinsmommy31, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Has anyone used Babbel to learn Italian. I love this app.

2. I've never used the app before. I've looked for reviews of the Babbel app, though and most on the web shows positive experiences with the app. :) There is an article I discovered comparing the app to Duolingo, which is an app that I have used and thanked for. Duolingo has translation exercises were really helpful in learning the language and interacting with other people learning new languages. In the Economist article the writer wants to stay using both Babbel and Duolingo "in concert".

3. I don't like Babbel very much, as I find it to be quite inaccurate. And the same goes for the google translator. I would say that if you are seriously interested in acquiring the Italian language, then try and attend a basic course that will give you a firm foundation on grammar, vocabulary and most importantly, pronunciation. There is always the option of finding an online tutor as well. But best of all would obviously be exposure to real, native Italians, and spending some time in Italy. :)

4. As difficult as it may seem (as well as time-consuming), the best way to properly learn a new language is by going to a classroom to listen to what the teacher planned throughout the entire course. Also, it is best if you practice it with your classmates and people who are willing to do the same. An alternative is hiring someone to personally tutor you and provide you the necessary materials for learning this particular language, if you can afford it. Babbel and Google Translate can be used from time to time to help you in translating words.

5. I think another thing to consider is if you plan to be making some money translating the language. International translators usually know the basic phrases in more languages than he or she is capable of interpreting/translating in. A bit of Italian, a bit of German, basic Japanese, some French and the easy Chinese. The levels of proficiency of course do not match people who are native Italians. Learning a language in your adult years can appear to be less of a hassle, I agree. I personally think translators should be allowed to make money translating languages that are not their mother tongue or primary language pairs, but not a lot of the adult language learning includes the money making element of language learning.

6. When I studied Italian, there were only the tapes and CDs around, so I would say Babbel and sites like WordDive can help you increase your vocabulary and also your pronunciation. I built up my vocabulary while I was in Italy, but if you have a good idea of the words, then it helps when you are forming sentences. I used Babbel as a refresher course and it's okay, but getting used to hearing how the words are pronounced versus how they look is important if you want to speak Italian.

7. I have used Babbel to translate, but I have never dived into it completely to learn a language. It sounds interesting enough to give it a try. I have to go back to Rosetta Stone for a solid program, but it is a little expensive. Duolingo is also very good in my opinion.