Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Active Volcanoes In Italy.

Discussion in 'Travel and Tourism In Italy' started by explorer, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Italy is also a place for three big active volcanoes viz Etna, Vesuvius and Stromboli. Though there are many other dormant or inactive volcanoes in Italy these three volcanoes are said to be quite active these days.
    • In fact there is no particular pattern of eruption in Mount Etna. Since 1600 AD there were 60 known flank eruptions and a number of other summit eruptions. These eruptions made the soil highly fertile and you can see agriculture flourishing in these areas. It is also a hot tourist spot nowadays.
    • Vesuvius is close to city of Naples. It is considered as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world as the eruptions are highly acidic and explosive. But still around 3 million people live around this volcano!
    • Stromboli is actually a small island in Tyrrhenian Sea with a volcano. It is less dangerous as eruptions are of small scale. Due to bright eruptions caused by this volcano this island is also known as “The Lighthouse of the Mediterranean”.

2. I have read some things about Vesuvius and when it exploded back at 80AD (?). It was catastrophic. Yet people return. Maybe the soil is way too fertile there. Worth the risk.

3. I've climbed and well, ended up getting stuck on Stromboli and it is an active volcano which you see at times safely. I was probably about half a mile away from it when it was in full flow the evening I got stuck there.

While it was an incredible sight it wasn't the most sensible or safe thing I had done as I hadn't intended to get stuck, it just got dark too fast for me to climb down safely. I chose to stay as slipping and falling was a greater risk than sleeping in a crater and waiting for daylight.

People live in Stromboli near the port and they are very aware of what happens and if they need to get off the island. Most would hop over to Lipari which isn't too far and that has more facilities. Most people visit for the day and go back, and while there are guides that can take you up the volcano, it's not as simple as some guidebooks make out. Climbing anything will always carry risks!

4. Itаly hаs thе lаst,асtivе, vоlсаnоеs оf Еurоpе, but thеrе аrе mаny mоrе thаt аrе еxtinсt, Frаnсе's mаssif сеntrаl mоuntаin rаngе is аn еxеmplе.
    Iсеlаnd аlsо hаs sоmе асtivе vоlсаnоеs
    Аnесdоtе: оnе оf, if nоt thе, mоst асtivе vоlсаnоеs оn thе plаnеt is Frеnсh: lе pitоn dе lа fоurnаisе, Rеuniоn islаnd.

5. Yеs! thе mоst асtivе vоlсаnо in Еurоpе, Mt. Еtnа. Mоrе асtivе thаn thе Iсеlаnd оnеs!