Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

57% Of Italians Won't Give Up Their Land Line

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by Rosie, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Basically the package includes TV, internet and land-line and the fact that the land-line is free (meaning, no added costs at least in the paper) makes it captivating to quite a few people.

2. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using one, it's just strange how such a big percentage of the population still has one (Italy's population: about 60 million people).
    It is indeed tempting to have one, since almost every internet provider offers a free landline (free, as long as you don't go overboard with using it. There are always, and I mean ALWAYS, hidden costs).

Also, I was expecting the elderly to use a landline, they have been using one all their lives, but it's a surprise to see the young generation doing it :) Especially with everyone having fancy, expensive mobile phones, tablets, laptops, computers, and so on and so forth.

3. You know, I also got rid of my land line phone many years ago, but you know.. I really miss it. I do love the convenience of having a mobile phone but I hate that I feel like I have no escape. My phone is constantly dinging with a text, a voice mail or a new email. Sometimes I feel like I WILL go crazy! :) Props to the people that haven't fallen into the trap!!!

4. Well, Rosie makes a good point, although, nowadays, it's more about having a new phone to ''show off'' (mine is four years old). Many people don't use it for phone calls, they're usually very expensive. It's something that we refer to as ''zero'' (all of the mobile phone numbers begin with 0) and the price for calls like that can be extremely high! Mobile phones are therefore mostly used for the online activities and such (although I never understood this - how can you bear to type on something so small? I hate even texting, it's such a bother). If landline is cheaper, I can see the allure.

However, even if it appears that you're getting something for free, there is always a catch, just like Rosie said. I know that our (my family's) telephone bill can be very expensive and at least half of it is VAT (value added tax), even if they say it's ''only 17%''-ish (I forgot the exact number).

5. I'm impressed with the way Italy is campaigning to increase the use of fiber optics for the landlines. I've come across the Fiber to the Cabinet and Fiber to the Home campaigns. It's a mega project that should be improving coverage of fiber optics cable to 35% of the population. :);):D

6. We very rarely use our Landline and haven't really had a phone hooked up to it for the past 6 months. 2 weeks ago we got it working again and its been ringing a lot more than Our Cell Phones ever did. Theres a bit of a mentality that if people are home they are available to talk so you may as well call them. Whereas if they are out and about they may not be able to talk and so people are less inclined to call a Cell Phone number.

7. Today, however, the Internet is also attracting a lot of people, even older generations. I had a neighbour who was almost 60 and she used to call her relatives on the Skype all the time. As she's the mother of my best friend and I visited them frequently, I'd seen her do it on more than one occasion - she used the computer and the messenger naturally. She had never picked up the phone to call someone, but she was constantly on the Internet, ''skyping''. We'd tried to make our grandmother interested in this as well, but we didn't succeed. She just doesn't like this - she's more of an ''old school'' person, so in our family, she's the one using the landline the most. Just recently, though, we'd found out about Viber - it's an android application that allows you to call someone for free on your phone provided that you have wireless Internet and that the other person has the same (and Viber as well). Ever since we'd installed this, she's been phoning her daughter (my aunt) in Germany all the time! It's really funny watching her get so excited about technology...

8. That is true Aurelia, but that usually happens when the relatives are in another country or so far away that they don't see each other often. When more proximity exists the landline is still a lot used, at least among my family members.

9. Of course, of course. I'm not saying we don't use the landline often - we do - it's just very expensive where I live. I was very surprised when I learnt that it can be free in Italy. That concept was completely new to me. My mum, for example, phones work every day, even when her shift is over - this is something I disapprove of. I am curious, does this happen in Italy as well (while we're still discussing phones...)? You phone work even when you're not working?

10. I never use my landline. The only reason I still have it is for home security and if we ever need to call 911. I see Italians aa more traditional people and there is still an older generation that probably likes to do things the traditional way. So a landline is probably something they are more comfortable with.

11. Now when you'd mentioned the emergency calls, what are the numbers to call in Italy? Britain has 999 as far as I remember. Here, in Sarajevo, we use three numbers: 122 for police, 123 for firefighters and 121 for the ambulance. We don't have the ''all-in-one'' number to call. I don't know whether this is good or not. What are things like in Italy? One number or three? I bet many have them on the speed-dial.

You're right, Juno. This is a very good reason to keep the landline, even if you don't use it. That hadn't really occurred to me before.

12. Why are they so glued to using land lines i wonder.

13. Well, a lot of reasons were already stated above. I am not sure what's the ''official'' main reason (perhaps it being free?). It does make sense, though, especially when it comes to older people. They have to maintain contact with their friends and relatives, and if they spend most of the time at home (many get tired easily) and don't visit their friends (because they can't) the other alternative is the phone. Mobile phones can be expensive, so landlines are practically perfect.

14. Nice answer but i don't really think it has to do with cost because their are cheap mobile phones that can be used i guess as you said most people do not want to loos their old lines probably because they have gotten so used to it.

15. I also believe this. A lot of older people I know still have a land line. They also don't know how to use most of the newer cell phones (especially smart phones). It is only the younger generation that relies on cell phones. I know with many internet/phone plans the cost of having a landline phone is either included in the price or as little as a few dollars a month that it is worth it.

16. I haven't used a landline in years. Here it's just an extra expense - we use our cell phones and the internet and that's plenty for us to remain in contact with our loved ones.

I can see some apprehension from older generations though - I know that people of my grandparents age wouldn't dream of getting rid of their landlines because it's what they know and they're comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that, I don't think :) Whatever works for people is good!

17. I think having a landline can be of benefit. In my country you do get special packages on landlines. The calls from landline to landline also cost a lot less than cell phone calls. They are also better for business calls if you are running yours from home. I think landlines still have their place.

notyourcommodity likes this.
  18. That's also true here -- there are a lot of good deals that make calls super, super cheap if you're calling one landline to another. Depending on the types of calls you make and the volume of calls too, it might still be beneficial to keep the landline from a financial perspective.

19. People older than 35 are getting more and more conservative, as they get older and older. No surprise. Landlines will be gone with that generation.